“After months of procrastination, I started on this with an editor’s mindset, taking a pen to it and striking out lines that seemed to me to be not pulling their weight, in the process cutting the poem down from its original four pages to two, and then from two to one. I then had a decision to make, which was whether to keep to my original plan of exploding the footnotes. Eventually, I elected to rewrite the one-pager, and to maintain generative momentum I of course had to have a formal constraint, which I decided should be physical lengths in monospace fonts, not least because that would enforce rework and rearrangement of the surviving lines.”

 

 

                                                                                          ~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

<<